Thursday, May 7, 2015

If You’re Reading This, You Should Probably Call Your Mom

Last month I was at Jack White’s set at Coachella. It is an understatement to say that I was in a euphoric state at the time, considering that I am a lover of his music combined with the fact that he was absolutely killing it. But my mood switched from being euphoric to being a tiny bit emotional. In between sets, he said something that really made an impact on me. He encouraged the crowd to contact their parents.

“They miss you and they are probably worried about you. Just give them a call."

It hit the crowd like a bomb. Everyone could relate to what he just said.

We all get caught up with our own individual lives, in this individualistic society. It is often too easy to forget that we actually have parents that have gotten us to where we are today. And still a lot of us, including me, do not find the time to contact them as much as they would probably want us to.


I had not spoken to my mom in a while. She lives on the other side of the world. I know that it is easy with modern technology to send her a message or give her a quick phone call. But I often find excuses for myself for not contacting her as much.

For instance, the 9 hour time difference is very annoying.  She would already a sleep when I want to contact her. Or, I do not want to bother her when she is at work. I feel bad about my constant excuses. I work hard to change my habits. That is why I am thankful for days like her birthday or Mother's Day - they remind me to do something special for her. Something which she strongly deserves.

I used to think that Mother's Day was a lame commercial holiday, created by corporate companies as an excuse to make us spend more money. I still think it is, but it does give us a very good reason to reach out to our moms, give her a phone call, send her a gift, take her out for dinner, and make her feel loved.  Thanks to Mother's Day, we can put a smile on her face every year and show her the love she needs. Now I can truly see the positive side of this holiday. Thanks for that, corporate America!
 

This year I want to send my mom a really nice gift and I encourage everyone reading this to do the same (if you weren't already planning it). It can be a difficult task to find a good gift for mom with a low budget. Luckily we do have some nice things on Pixiboard that she might love!

I know my mom would love all the stuff that the Apron Guy sells. He has a great selection of household items. I know this sounds like a generalization, but to be honest, moms just love that kind of stuff (at least mine does).  It is a mystery how excited she can get over a bunch of kitchen towels, but hey what works works. Check out a few of his pieces, like this $6 pear kitchen towel , or this matching $5 shopping bag, or this cute cupcake apron that mom will rock, or even these awesome waffle drying towels that are super handy to put washed dishes on.
 
 
Is your mom not the house'y type? Maybe she would like something to make her feel pretty. These Moroccan slippers just got posted on the board and I honestly love them. They look super comfy as well. Or maybe she would adore this Moroccan vase, which is a bit on the pricier side, but at least it is something that will last forever.


So if you haven't found a perfect gift for mom yet, check out Pixiboard. There are many local offerings from small businesses in the Bay Area.  From most, you can order online and pick-up at the store.

Of course, if it is too late to get that perfect gift, there is always the phone call.  Pick up the phone, call your mom, and tell her how you feel.


Happy Mother's Day, mom!

#mothersday #pixiboard #shoplocal



No comments:

Post a Comment